Please browse through our Car Rental Reimbursement Insurance policy as we explain what exactly this coverage does.
So you’ve decided to rent a car while on vacation. Car rental companies are always happy to help. Wrong.
Depending on the company and your credit score, you may be required to pay for your rental car in full or through a reimbursement policy.
If you’re not sure whether or not you need car rental reimbursement insurance, read on.
What is Car Rental Reimbursement?
Car rental reimbursement is a way for a business to reimburse its customers for the cost of renting a vehicle. The reimbursement may be in the form of a cash refund, a discount on future rentals, or a combination of both.
The business may directly provide the reimbursement to its customers or arrange for a third party. In either case, the refund must be approved by the customer’s credit card company.
The Different Types of Car Rental Reimbursement Programs
When you rent a car, what do you expect? That the rental company will reimburse your expenses for gasoline, parking, and tolls? While this is generally the case, different types of car rental reimbursement programs can affect how much you end up reimbursed.
Here’s a rundown of the most common types of car rental reimbursement programs:
Selected rental companies belonging to Centurion offer memberships that provide a set amount of reimbursement for each rental. These amounts vary by the rental company and can range from $10 to $100 per day.
American Express offers its members three benefits when renting cars. The first is their membership Rewards program which gives cardholders points whenever they lease or purchase a vehicle. Points can then be redeemed for cash back, travel awards, or merchandise.
The second is the Preferred Rate Program which provides an introductory rate for rentals booked through American Express Vacations properties. Finally, American Express offers Barclaycard membership, which entitles them to 10% off the total cost of all rentals booked through participating outlets.
THRIFTY has two main reimbursement programs – The Fuel Rewards Club and The Hotel Rewards Club – both offer rewards for spending money on car rentals within certain limits.
The Pros and Cons of Car Rental Reimbursement
When you book a rental car, you’re probably used to the idea of being reimbursed for your expenses. But is it worth the hassle? Here are the pros and cons of car rental reimbursement.
Pros of Car Rental Reimbursement
- It can save you money. If you’ve ever gone on a trip and had to buy your car rental insurance, you know how expensive it can be. With reimbursement, you don’t have to worry about that expense.
- It’s convenient. Reimbursement makes that process much more manageable if you need to pick up your rental car from the airport or another location. You won’t waste time looking for a parking spot or worrying about finding a change for a toll booth.
- It’s automatic. Most rental companies will automatically reimburse you for any expenses incurred during your rental period, no matter who was at fault (i.e., if your rental car was destroyed by someone else, the company will usually cover those costs).
- You may not have to pay anything at all! Many companies will cover all or part of your expenses if you use a credit card to rent the car (although this isn’t always the case).
Cons of Car Rental Reimbursement
- It can be complicated and time-consuming to apply for reimbursement. To qualify for reimbursement, you must provide detailed documentation of your expenses (including receipts). This can be time-consuming, and some companies are stricter than others in their requirements.
- Getting your money back cannot be easy if you don’t qualify for reimbursement. If the company decides your expenses are not eligible for a refund, you may be required to pay for them.
- Keeping track of your reimbursement claims cannot be enjoyable. Some companies will send you periodic reimbursements, while others will require you to submit a claim form each time you want to receive payment.
- It can take a long time to receive your reimbursement check. Sometimes it can take weeks or even months for the company to send the checkout, depending on your expenses.
Is It Worth The Hassle To Get Car Rental Reimbursement?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the value of car rental reimbursement varies greatly depending on the individual and their specific situation. However, in general, most people would say that getting reimbursement for car rental expenses is worth the hassle.
The Requirements for claiming car rental reimbursement
Claiming car rental reimbursement can be a hassle but is it worth the effort? The requirements vary depending on the insurance company you are using, but you will need to provide your driver’s license, rental agreement, and original receipt or invoice.
You may also be required to submit photos of the damage to the vehicle. Once all the necessary information has been gathered, you need to contact your insurance company and ask them to authorize reimbursement. Once that has been done, you will receive a check in the mail.
My car rental company says I need to prepay for the rental. Is that necessary?
It is not necessary to prepay for a rental car, but it may be an option that you choose. Some rental companies may require you to prepay to receive a discounted rate.
You can also prepay using your credit card and transfer the funds directly to the rental car company’s account.
Car rental reimbursement is a great way to reduce costs while traveling. However, it’s essential to consider the pros and cons of the reimbursement process before taking the plunge.
Car rental reimbursement can be a time-saving convenience, but it can also be complicated and time-consuming to apply for. And if you don’t qualify for reimbursement, you may end up paying for your rental. However, car rental reimbursement is worth the hassle for most people.